|Detroit Police Victim’s Assistance Program
24 hours, 7 days a week
Individual and Group
4707 St. Antoine
Detroit, MI 48201
Detroit, MI 48201
The Victim’s Assistance Program (VAP) is designed to address the needs of individuals, families and
communities affected by:
- If you or someone you know has been sexually assaulted, help is available.
The Victim’s Assistance Center provides FREE AND CONFIDENTIAL individual and group counseling.
Our services are completely free of charge and Our staff of Licensed Social Workers are bound by State of
Michigan, Board of Social Work requirements for confidentiality.
Victim’s Assistance Center staff respond to sexual assaults reported to Detroit Police Sex Crimes and Detroit
- Domestic Violence, also called “intimate partner abuse,” refers to physical, sexual, psychological and
economic abuse or control that takes place within an intimate relationship, including marriage.
DOMESTIC VIOLENCE IS A CRIME!
Individual and Group counseling and support is available.
- Learn how domestic violence affects children
- How to establish a safety plan
- How to identify Domestic Violence warning signs, and much more
- The unlawful killing of one human by, another produces deep and bitter grief for the surviving loved
ones or secondary victims.
Understand this, the Victim’s Assistance Center provides:
- Grief and Loss, Individual and Group, Counseling
- Community Debriefing/Response
- Assistance with Victim Compensation Claims
- Advocacy and Information
- Support during the Criminal Justice Process
The Detroit Police Department established the Rape Counseling Center in November of 1975. It was one
of the first rape centers operated by a police department in the country.
As our services expanded, to include the victims of domestic violence and homicide, a program name change
was inevitable. Currently named the Victim’s Assistance Program, our commitment to providing a wide range
of services to the victims, families and communities of Detroit remains unchanged.
The mission of the Victim’s Assistance Program is to enhance the well-being of victims, families and
communities that have been affected by sexual assault, domestic violence and homicide, in the City of
Detroit. By providing crisis intervention, follow-up counseling and prevention programs, the Victim’s Assistance
Program strives to alleviate barriers to the restoration of a healthy physical and emotional state.
The Victims Assistance Program provides 24 hours crisis intervention, 7 days a week.
The Victim’s Assistance Program is supported by grant funds awarded through the Crime Victim Services
Commission of the Michigan Crime Victims Fund established by the Victim of Crime Act of 1984.
RAPE ABUSE & INCEST NATIONAL NETWORK
NATIONAL SEXUAL ASSAULT HOTLINE
NATIONAL CENTER ON DOMESTIC AND SEXUAL VIOLENCE
MEN CAN STOP RAPE
MICIGAN COALITION AGAINST DOMESTIC AND SEXUAL VIOLENCE
IF YOU ARE LIVING IN AN ABUSIVE RELATIONSHIP PLAN FOR YOUR SAFETY, AHEAD OF TIME
KNOW THE WARNING SIGNS:
- Escalating Arguments
- Substance Abuse
- Hitting wall/throwing objects/name calling
- Jekyll-Hyde personality
PLAN FOR YOUR ESCAPE BY HAVING:
- Emergency phone numbers
- Emergency place to go
- Instructed children ahead of time
- Personal documents prepared to go
PLAN FOR THE UNEXPECTED:
DURING A VIOLENT INCIDENT, YOUR SAFETY AND THE SAFETY OF YOUR CHILDREN ARE MOST IMPORTANT
- If the phones are dismantled
- If the car keys can’t be located
- If you’re locked out of the house